Today I faced an interesting problem. A customer told me that their Exchange 2010, which is currently part of a Exchange cross-forest migration project, has an issue with Outlook Web Access and the Exchange Control Panel. Both web sites fail with a white screen and a single message: 440 Login Timeout I checked some basics, like certificate, configuration of the virtual directories and I found nothing suspicious. Most hints on the internet pointed towards problems with the IUSR_servername user, which is not used with IIS 7 and later.
While migrating a customer from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016, I had to create an Exchange Hybrid Deployment, because the customer wants to use Microsoft Teams. Nothing fancy and I’ve did this a couple of times. Unfortunantely the Hybrid Connection Wizard failed to create the migration endpoint. A quick check of the logs showed this error: Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.MRSRemotePermanentException: The Mailbox Replication Service could not connect to the remote server because the certificate is invalid.
As part of an ongoing Exchange 2010 to 2016 migration, I had to replace the self-signed certificate with a certificate from the customers PKI. Everything went fine, the customer had a suitable template, we’ve added the necessary hostnames and bound IIS and SMTP to the certificate. The mess started with an iisreset /noforce… The iisreset took longer than expected. After that, I tried to login into the ECP, entered username and password and got an error.
Public Folders are still a thing. And while companies are moving their stuff into the cloud, Public Folders still need to be accessed by cloud-located mailboxes. Allowing the access from Exchange Online mailboxes to on-premise hosted Public Folders is well documented by Microsoft, but there are also some fuzz. I had to deal with this during a Office 365 transition project at one of my customers. The background The customer is running a single Exchange 2016 server in a Windows Server 2012 R2 forest.
A customer of mine asked for help to analyse a weird OAuth error. They are using a Microsoft Dynamics 365 Outlook plugin, which came up with an error: "Can't connect to Exchange" In addition to this, they also faced an issueaccessing shared calendars of Exchange Online mailboxes. Clearly an OAuth error. So we ran the Hybrid Connection Wizard again, which finished without any errors. But the errors persisted. Next stop: OAuth configuration.
Microsoft Teams got a big push due to the current COVID19 crisis and many of my customers deployed it in the past weeks. At ML Network, we are using Microsoft Teams for more than a year, and we don’t want to miss it anymore. We are running Exchange 2016 on-premises, currently CU16. We were missing the calendar tab in Teams since we started with Microsoft Teams. when you do some research about this issue, you will find many threads and blog posts, but these are the two key facts:
The task was simple: Change the alias and the primary SMTP address of a Microsoft Teams team. This can be done by changing the alias and the SMTP address of the underlaying Office 365 group. But how? All you need is a PowerShell connection to Exchange Online. Patrick Terlisten/ vcloudnine.de/ Creative Commons CC0 All you need is a PowerShell on your local computer and Office 365 credentials with the necessary privileges.
This issue is described in KB2971270 and is fixed in Exchange 2013 CU6. I published this blog post in July 2015 and it is still relevant. The feedback for this blog post was incredible, and I’m not joking when I say: I saved many admins weekends. ;) It has shown, that this error still occurs with Exchange 2016 and even 2019. Maybe not because of the same, with Exchange 2013 CU6 fixed bug, but maybe for other reasons.
It is time for some words of wisdom, in regard to Exchange and the supported Active Directory environments. It is the same as with the supported. NET Framework releases: Latest release does not automatically mean “supported”. To be honest: I nearly nuked a customer environment with ~ 300 users yesterday by preparing the domain for the first Windows Server 2019 Domain Controller. Patrick Terlisten/ vcloudnine.de/ Creative Commons CC0 First things first: Everything is fine!
Last week, a customer complained that he could not send emails with pictures with the native iOS email app. He attached three, four or five pictures to an emails, pushed the send button and instantly an error was displayed. We checked the different connectors as well as the organizational limit for messages. The test mails were between 10 to 20 MB, and the message size limit was much higher. The cross-check with Outlook Web Access indicated, that the issue was not a configured limit on one of the Exchange connectors.